Working in Yukon


Workplace health and safety

Workplace safety is very important in Canada and Yukon. Canada has strong laws to help keep workers safe at work. Employers and workers must follow these laws. These laws may be very different from the laws in your home country. In Canada, employers and workers work together to make workplaces safe.

You can call the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board (WCB) if you have any questions about workplace safety or to report an unsafe situation at your job. In Whitehorse, call 667-5450. Outside of Whitehorse call 1-800-661-0443.

You can ask questions without giving your name or saying where you work. You can also visit the WCB office at 401 Strickland Street to talk to someone in person. If your English is not very good, WCB will arrange for an interpreter who speaks your language. Your employer cannot punish you, and you cannot be fired or deported for calling WCB.

You can also call the Immigration Unit if you have questions or concerns about safety at your job. In Whitehorse, call 667-5131. Outside Whitehorse call 1-800-661-0408 extension 5131.