Student training allowance

The Student Training Allowance is a bi-weekly payment available for Yukon residents who are studying full-time at Yukon College.

What is considered full-time?

If you are enrolled in 9 credits or more, you are usually considered full-time. If you are not sure, or if you are in a non-credit program, check with Yukon College.

How long does my program need to be?

Your program must run for at least 3 weeks.

Who qualifies as a Yukon resident?

For Student Training Allowance purposes, you must be legally entitled to remain in Canada and have lived in Yukon for the 2 years right before your classes start. Students must also not be eligible to apply for funding through any other jurisdiction.

What if I was away at school?

Students who are absent from Yukon while in full-time studies are usually still considered to be residents of the territory. Please check with our office to find out if your situation qualifies.

How do I apply?

Visit our Apply for Student Financial Assistance page to apply online or to complete the fillable PDF Application for Student Financial Assistance. Paper applications are also available at the Student Financial Assistance office.  

How much can I receive?

Students can receive the Student Training Allowance for up to 40 weeks per year, for a maximum of 170 weeks over their lifetime, provided they continue to meet eligibility requirements. The amounts below are for the 2017/18 academic year:

 Student only  $105 per week 
 Student and 1 dependant $153 per week 
 Student and 2 dependants  $178 per week 
 Student and 3 dependants $198 per week 
 Student and 4 or more dependants $222 per week

There is also an allowance for students who must attend Yukon College away from their home community, and who will be maintaining two residences as a result. The allowance for a second residence is $84.00 per week.

Students who must travel to another community to attend Yukon College may also be eligible for a travel amount. Travel amounts vary between communities.  

Who qualifies as a dependant?

For Student Training Allowance purposes, a dependant is defined as a child (natural, adopted or stepchild) under the age of 18, or a spouse whose income is less than $104.00 per week. A dependant must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and must normally reside with the student.

Can I receive the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant?

You cannot receive the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant at the same time; however, if you are attending Yukon College and you are eligible for both, you can choose which funding option suits you best. Students who are eligible for both the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant can receive a total of 170 weeks of funding combined. 

For example, if you use 68 weeks of Student Training Allowance, you will have 102 weeks of funding left, for either Student Training Allowance or the Yukon Grant

I’ve applied for funding from other sources, too. Can I receive other funding and still qualify for the Student Training Allowance?

Students can receive funding from another source and still qualify for the Student Training Allowance, as long as the other funding provided is for books and/or tuition costs only. If you expect to receive funding from another source, it’s best to check with our office to be sure there is no conflict.

What documents do I need to include with my application?

You will need to provide a copy of the letter of acceptance from Yukon College, as well as a signed student declaration form. You will find the student declaration form online on our Apply for Student Financial Assistance page or as part of the paper application form. 

Is there a deadline date for applications?

Yes - your completed application including a signed student declaration form must be received by our office no later than 14 school days after your classes start. Late applications can be considered and, if approved, funding will start from the date your signed application is received. All applications are assessed on a first-come, first-served basis.

How is the Student Training Allowance paid?

Yukon College will directly deposit your payments every 2 weeks. 

You will be required to sign-in regularly to receive your Student Training Allowance. Before your payments begin, the college will send an email to your Yukon College email address outlining your sign-in process. 

Does the Student Training Allowance have to be paid back? 

As long as you are eligible to have received it in the first place, the Student Training Allowance does not have to be paid back. If you withdraw from your program, drop to part-time status, or receive an overpayment for any reason, you may be required to pay back all or part of the Student Training Allowance.

Do I have to report Student Training Allowance on my tax return?
You must report the Student Training Allowance you received on your tax return. Yukon College will send a T4A to the permanent address you provide in your application.

If you have not received a T4A for the previous year postmarked no later than February 28, please call 867-668-8717. If you have any questions about how your T4A income will affect your tax return, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

For more information, visit


Contact - Student Financial Assistance

Department of  Education

Box 2703, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 2C6

In person:
1000 Lewes Blvd, Whitehorse, Yukon

Phone: 867-667-5929 Fax: 867-667-8555
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5929

Yukon government staff directory >>>