The application period for summer 2017 jobs closed on February 3, 2017. Please check back next winter for 2018 summer jobs.
Employers looking for information about how to access STEP subsidies can visit http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/step-employer-info.html.
If you are a Yukon Student in full-time post-secondary undergraduate studies, or are graduating from a degree program this current year, then STEP is for you. This program offers students an opportunity to gain practical experience in their field of study and utilize their theoretical knowledge in a workplace setting, not to mention great wages!
To apply for STEP jobs you must meet the definition of a Yukon post-secondary student as follows:
• Just completed a semester of full-time post-secondary studies in or out of Yukon
• Returning to full-time undergraduate studies in the fall of the same year -OR- just graduated this current year from a diploma program or higher
• And, must have resided in Yukon for two (2) consecutive years immediately prior to commencement to post-secondary classes OR eligible for the Yukon Grant;
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
• Not a member of the employer’s immediate family or direct supervisor
• Yukon resident
Please Note: Grade 12, academic development, developmental studies, life skills training, upgrading, college preparation, certificate programs, etc., DO NOT constitute post-secondary studies.
Deadline for applications was February 3, 2017.
Student wages are set at a minimum of $15.63 per hour. As the students’ education level increases, so does their pay, as follows:
• $15.63 per hour upon completion of first year of post-secondary
• $16.72 per hour upon completion of second year
• $17.92 per hour upon completion of third year
• $19.14 per hour upon completion of fourth year or higher
*Non-Yukon government employers may pay higher than the minimum wages that are set by STEP.
What if I’m not from the Preference group? Can I still apply on this competition? YES! In the event no one from the preference group applies or meets the screening criteria outlined in this competition your application WILL BE considered. We encourage all interested individuals to apply regardless of the preference!
Please self-disclose if you meet the preference requirements when submitting your application either in a cover letter or your resume. Each position will identify if it was given a preference in the job overview.
Canada Y1A 2C6
Visit our office in the Education building at 1000 Lewes Blvd., Whitehorse, Yukon