Schools K - 12

Who's who in education

Learn the roles and responsibilities of the various people in the school system.

 Jump to:

Visit our Contact us page to find contact persons for each unit.

Search for Yukon government staff by name in the staff directory.

Search for school-based staff on their school websites.


Most of your communication and interaction with your child’s school will be through the classroom teacher.

Teachers are employed by the Government of Yukon. According to Section 168 of the Education Act , the job includes:

  • Encouraging students to learn.
  • Teaching the approved courses.
  • Maintaining order and discipline.
  • Supporting and encouraging student punctuality and regular attendance.
  • Reporting on student progress, behaviour and attendance to parents.

You will be invited at least once in the school year to meet formally with your child’s teacher during parent-teacher interviews. You can request a meeting with the teacher at any time.

Learning assistance teachers

Learning assistance teachers (LAs) are fully qualified teachers who specialize in providing support services to students who need extra help. LAs may work within classrooms or in other settings in the school. They may also supervise paraprofessionals who work in the school. LAs are often case managers for students with individualized learning plans.

Back to top >>>


Paraprofessionals such as educational assistants (EAs) and remedial tutors help students with special educational needs. The type and amount of help varies according to the needs of the students, as outlined in the various types of plans that are usually in place for students with special needs.

Paraprofessionals are assigned to schools before the beginning of the school year. They are assigned to specific students or classrooms within schools by the administration, based on the school’s needs. These assignments may change during the year.

Back to top >>>

Aboriginal languages teachers

As required by Section 52 of the Education Act,  Aboriginal language teachers are employed by Yukon Education. They teach seven Yukon First Nations languages in 20 Yukon schools.

Back to top >>>

First Nations staff

First Nations sometimes hire community education liaison coordinators, education support workers and education outreach coordinators to work in the schools.

Duties of First Nations workers include:

  • Supporting First Nations students.
  • Providing counseling and referrals for First Nations students and their parents.
  • Helping to organize workshops, training, and resource people for cultural curriculum.
  • Advising on First Nations curriculum content.

For more information about how we incorporate First Nations perspectives and support First Nations students in Yukon schools, visit the First Nations Programs and Partnerships website.

Back to top >>>

Office staff

Every school has one or more school administrative assistants. They are usually your first point of contact when you call or visit a school and when you want to meet with a school administrator.

Back to top >>>

Substitutes for teachers

Substitutes for teachers take over the responsibilities of regular teachers when they are away. Substitute teachers follow the lesson plans and work under the supervision of school administrators.

If you are interested in working as a substitute teacher, visit

Back to top >>>


In most schools there is a principal and one or more vice-principals. We refer to these staff as administrators. According to Section 169 of the Education Act , the job includes:

  • Supervising teachers, staff and volunteers according to policies and long-term goals.
  • Managing school operations, property maintenance and budget.
  • Promoting involvement and good relations with parents and communities.

The classroom teacher is always the first point of contact when you have a question or concern about your child, but you can request a meeting with a school administrator anytime.

Back to top >>>

School counsellors

School counsellors are specially-trained teachers who promote the educational, social, emotional and career development of students. They provide advice about course selection and future opportunities such as post-secondary education. School counsellors are often involved in the preparation of learning plans for students with special educational needs.
School counsellors can also provide resources and referrals to community resources and agencies for students and families.

Back to top >>>  

Consultants and specialists

Consultants and specialists help teachers deliver curriculum and support student learning. Consultants focus on particular grade levels or areas of the curriculum.Specialists include school psychologists, speech pathologists, physiotherapists and others who help support students with special educational needs.

Back to top >>>


Superintendents are senior government employees with teaching qualifications who act as directors of education for their schools. They supervise and evaluate schools, administrators, teachers, and other staff, with advice from school councils. They promote positive relations among students, parents and the community.

Back to top >>>

Assistant Deputy Ministers

The Department of Education has three Assistant Deputy Ministers. One is responsible for the Corporate Services, one is responsible for Schools and Student Services, and the third is responsible for Policy and Partnerships.

Back to top >>>

Deputy Minister

The Deputy Minister (DM) of Education is appointed by the Premier to be responsible for the administration of the Department of Education.

Back to top >>>

Minister of Education

The Minister of Education is an elected member of the Legislative Assembly of Yukon. He or she is appointed by the Premier to preside over the Department of Education and is responsible for the administration of laws related to education such as the Education Act, the School Trespass Act   and the Teaching Profession Act.  A new Minister can be appointed at any time.

Back to top >>>