Apprentices & trades

Apprentice mobility

Learn how apprentices can work or train anywhere in Canada without interrupting their apprenticeship training.

Mobility provisions apply to all designated trades in Yukon.

Learn about:

Downloads - learn more

How to transfer apprenticeship

Permanent moves to Yukon
If you move to Yukon permanently and intend to continue your apprenticeship, you need to contact our office so we can work with you to complete the transfer. Steps include

  • You will fill out registration forms and pay the registration fee
  • We will contact the apprenticeship office that you had your contract with previously, to verify your apprenticeship hours, training and exams.
  • We may do a placement assessment to identify training gaps that need to be addressed. Training gaps can happen because of differences in regulations such as building codes.
  • We will work with you to develop an individualized apprenticeship plan to earn your journeyperson ticket.
  • You will become a registered Yukon apprentice and will work towards Yukon or Red Seal credentials.

Permanent moves from Yukon

If you are a Yukon apprentice and are planning to move away permanently, you will need to contact the apprenticeship authority for your new province or territory. Details are in the Apprentice Transfer Guide .

Temporary moves to Yukon

You may apply to remain registered in your home province or territory while you are working, training or writing an exam in Yukon. For details, contact your apprenticeship office.

Temporary moves from Yukon

Yukon apprentices may apply to get credit for apprenticeship work experience and technical training that you earn outside of Yukon.

You will need to fill out an application forms and provide copies of Canada Revenue Agency forms to prove Yukon residency.

We will assess your application to ensure it meets requirements so that you can receive recognition for work experience, training and/or exams you complete in other provinces or territories.

Financial support

If you are registered as a Yukon apprentice and are a permanent Yukon resident, you may apply for Yukon government grants and subsidies, even if you leave Yukon temporarily.

If you are temporarily in Yukon, you may apply to your home province or territory for funding.

Wage rates

Some provinces and territories regulate wage rates for apprentices. The rates in the province or territory where the work is being performed are the rates that apply.

Contact Apprenticeship

For carpenter and construction electrician trades
Vernon Beebe 867-456-3867 or
Toll free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3867

For all other trade areas
Eric Huggard 867-667-5140 or
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5140

Apprenticeship and Tradesperson Qualifications
Department of Education
1000 Lewes Boulevard
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada Y1A 2C6

Fax: 867-667-8555

Yukon government directory >>>