Plan for school


Fill out the online pre-registration form to pre-register your child for Kindergarten for the 2018-19 school year.

For Kindergarten in rural schools, visit your local school to register.

Kindergarten in Whitehorse

Pre-registration for the 2018-19 school year began on Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.

  • Children must be 5 years old on or before December 31, 2018, to be eligible for Kindergarten
  • Kindergarten is a full-day program

Kindergarten is not a required program in Yukon, but most families choose to start their children’s education there. On this page, you can learn about

French Immersion

Early French Immersion is offered at

  • École Whitehorse Elementary School in downtown Whitehorse and
  • Selkirk Elementary School in Riverdale

You can request either school as your program preference when you pre-register your child, but we cannot guarantee enrolment in that school.

Information night for parents
Learn about the Kindergarten registration process and options for French Immersion and other French programs

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
at Whitehorse Elementary School

Back to top >>>

Catholic education

Two Catholic schools offer Kindergarten in Whitehorse:

  • Christ the King Elementary School in Riverdale
  • Holy Family Elementary School in Porter Creek

Catholic schools require parents to fill out an additional admission package . Parents must also agree with the Mission Statement and Statement of Values and Beliefs of the Catholic Education Association of Yukon. Those statements are on the admission package.

We cannot guarantee that all families who request Catholic education will be accommodated every year. Children are required to attend whichever Catholic school is in their attendance area.

Visit the Catholic Education Association of Yukon web site >>>

Back to top >>>

Registration process

In Whitehorse, Kindergarten registration begins by completing an online pre-registration form. We use this form to assign children to schools.

The form asks for information about your child and allows you to specify the program preference for your child.

Before choosing a program, please read these notes carefully:

  • Attendance areas: Children are required to attend their attendance area school. For the regular English program, this is normally the school closest to where the child lives.
  • French Immersion: You can request École Whitehorse Elementary School or Selkirk Elementary School, but we cannot guarantee enrolment in that school.
  • Catholic education: If accepted by a Catholic school, the child will be assigned to the school closest to the child’s home.
  • Out of area: In exceptional circumstances only, students can apply to attend a school outside their attendance area. Parents must contact the Department of Education to apply for their child to attend an out-of-area school. Visit our Transfer Schools page for more information.
School assignment

Children are assigned to schools in the order in which pre-registration forms are received.

Priority will be given to children who have siblings at a school, to make sure siblings are able to attend the same school.

When we have processed all the pre-registration forms, we will tell you which school your child has been assigned to. Should your child not be assigned to the school you selected, we will contact you to discuss further options.

Completing the registration process

Once your child has been assigned to a school, the school will ask you to show a birth certificate or other proof of age for your child, and you will fill out some additional forms.

Back to top >>>

School bus transportation

If you live more than 3.2 kilometres from your child’s assigned school, you can register for a school bus. Children who attend schools outside their attendance areas at their family’s request are not entitled to school bus transportation.

Parents whose children live more than 3.2 km from the nearest school bus stop may be eligible for a transportation subsidy to offset driving costs.

Back to top >>>

Kindergarten in rural Yukon

There are two Kindergarten starting points in most rural Yukon schools:

  • Children can start K4 when they have reached 3 years + 8 months of age by September 1st of that school year. That is, they must be 4 years old on or before December 31.
  • Children can start K5 when they have reached 4 years + 8 months of age by September 1st of that school year. That is, they must be 5 years old on or before December 31.

Kindergarten may be a half- or full-day program, depending on the school. Some rural schools include Kindergarten in blended-grade classrooms.


Register your child for Kindergarten by visiting your local school and filling out the necessary forms. You will have to show a birth certificate or other proof of your child’s age.

Back to top >>>

French First Language education

Students who qualify under the French as a First Language Instruction Regulation and the Admission to French First Language Schools Policy can attend École Émilie-Tremblay for French First Language education. Yukon's French First Language schools are managed by the Yukon Francophone School Board, Commission scolaire francophone du Yukon.

To register, call École Émilie-Tremblay at 867-667-8150.

Back to top >>>

Public Schools Branch

Yukon Education
1000 Lewes Boulevard
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada Y1A 2C6

Phone: 867-667-5127
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5127
Fax: 867-393-6339

Yukon government directory >>>