Working in Yukon

Immigration frequently asked questions

Find answers to common questions about immigration in Yukon.

Do I need to hire an immigration representative?

An immigration representative is someone who works on your behalf with

  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
  • the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)
  • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and
  • the Yukon Nominee Program

There are two types of immigration representatives: unpaid and paid. An unpaid representative is a person or organization that does not charge you a fee. Examples include: family members, friends and members of non-government or religious organizations.

If you choose to hire a paid representative, we can only work with people who are members of:

  • A Canadian provincial or territorial law society (e.g., lawyers);
  • Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) or
  • The Chambre des notaires du Québec

Members of these organizations must meet ethical and professional standards. If you choose to use a paid representative, you should ask for references and make sure your representative is a member of one of the associations.

Learn more about who can be an immigration representative at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).

You do not need to hire an immigration representative or consultant to apply to the Yukon Nominee Program (YNP). However, if you wish to do so, you should know that:

  • All the forms and information you need to complete your application are on this website.
  • We will not give your application special attention.
  • No one can guarantee that your application will be approved.
  • We do not engage the exclusive services of any agencies or representatives.

If you plan to use a representative, please contact the YNP for more information. Before we can talk to a representative about you, you will also need to sign an Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual form .

Back to top >>>

How can I find out about jobs in Yukon?

You may wish to visit the following web sites:

Back to top >>>

I would like to immigrate to Yukon, but I do not have an employer or a job offer. Can I still apply to the Yukon Nominee Program?

No. If you do not have a job offer you may contact IRCC to apply for a different immigration program.

Back to top >>>

Can a refugee apply under humanitarian grounds to the Yukon Nominee Program?

No. We cannot be a part of the federal IRCC refugee claim, appeal or removal process.


Back to top >>>

Who provides health care in Yukon?

The Yukon Health Care Insurance plan covers medically required hospital and medical services and certain dental-surgical procedures. The cost is paid by Yukon’s general revenues. You pay no premiums. Some employers provide additional benefits, such as vision and dental care. Insurance coverage usually becomes effective 3 months after you move to Yukon, but you must apply.

For details about what is covered, who is eligible and how to apply, visit Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan.

Back to top >>>

I am an employer and need additional workers. Will the Yukon government recruit foreign workers on my behalf?

No. Employers recruit their own workers. Some employers have had success with recruitment in foreign countries and others have found new workers though family contact with current workers.

Back to top >>>

As a Nominee can I move my family to Yukon?

 Yes, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children under the age of 18 may come with you, if approved by IRCC.

Back to top >>>



The Immigration unit has moved to the Department of Economic Development. The unit's new location is:

Department of Economic Development
303 Alexander Street, 1st floor
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Phone: 867-667-5131  Fax: 867-667-8555
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5131

Yukon government staff directory >>>