Yukon Excellence Awards

Yukon Excellence Awards encourage academic achievement in grades 10-12 in Yukon schools. These awards help students pursue post-secondary education or training. Students are eligible to receive up to $3,000 for 10 awards to offset costs of post-secondary education and training.

How do I qualify for an Excellence Award?

Students qualify for a Yukon Excellence Award when they achieve an 80 per cent final course mark in any 10 of the qualifying courses.

The following courses qualify for the Yukon Excellence Awards:

  • Grade 10 - any three of English 10 (or equivalent), Math 10 (or equivalent) and Science 10, plus one other course.
  • Grade 11 - one of Social Studies 11 or Civic Studies 11, plus two other courses.
  • Grade 12 – one of English 12 (or equivalent) or Communications 12, plus two other courses.

Note: We consider Français langue courses to be equivalent to English courses and we will consider the higher grade

In the 2016-17 school year, the British Columbia provincial exams (BCPEs) will be replaced with in-class assessments (exams, projects, assignments, etc.) for Grades 10 and 11 courses. For Grade 12 courses, B.C. will offer provincial exams for Language Arts 12 (or equivalent) until August 2017.

  • If a course does not have a BCPE, the final course mark is the combined total of marks for all in-class assessments for a course.
  • If a course still has a BCPE, the final course mark is the combined total of marks for all in-class assessments plus the BCPE mark.

Please visit the British Columbia Provincial Exams page to learn more about the changes to BCPEs.

How much will I receive?

Each Yukon Excellence Award is worth $300. It is possible to earn up to 10 awards from Grades 10 through 12.

The maximum amount of money you can receive through Yukon Excellence Awards is $3,000. When you are enrolled in post-secondary education or training, you can apply for the entire amount that you have earned, or use a portion each year.

How do I know what awards I’ve earned?

Yukon secondary school students receive letters every October informing them of awards they earned in the previous academic year.

If you are still at a Yukon school, you will receive this letter through your school. For students who have graduated or left the system, we will send your letter to your last known home address.

If you have moved and have not received your letter by the end of October, you can confirm the amount of your award by contacting Student Financial Assistance at 867-667-5929 or toll-free in Yukon at 1-800-661-0408, local 5929.

What can I use the award for?

You may use your award towards the costs of tuition, compulsory fees and/or books.

How do I redeem my Yukon Excellence Award?

Apply for Student Financial Assistance online, or if you prefer, print the Yukon Student Financial Assistance Application Form. You should send paper applications to:

Student Financial Assistance
Advanced Education Branch
Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, YT
Y1A 2C6

Once we have approved your application, a letter will be sent to you and the post-secondary institution you are attending that indicates how much you will receive. We will then mail a cheque in your name will be mailed to the financial aid office of the institution you are attending.

Is there a deadline date for applications?

No. You may apply at any time to access your awards; however, you must redeem your awards within 10 years of leaving high school.

How will I know if my application has been approved?

We will send you a letter that will let you know if we have approved your application. If it has been approved, a cheque made out in your name will be mailed to the institution you are attending.

How long does it take to process my application?

In most cases, expect a processing time of two to six weeks after you submit your completed application and all supporting documents. We mail awards are mailed to the institution you are attending. we assess all completed applications on a first-come, first-served basis, so the earlier you get your application in, the earlier you will receive your money.

Do I pay income tax on my Yukon Excellence Awards?

You will be issued a T4A for your Yukon Excellence Awards. Each year Canada Revenue Agency issues “Pamphlet 105 Students and Income Tax” outlining entitlements and obligations under the Act. It is the student’s responsibility to determine the taxability of amounts received and to assess the facts of their situation.

Please visit the section for students on the Canada Revenue Agency web site at

Contact - Student Financial Assistance

Advanced Education
Yukon Education

Box 2703, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 2C6

In person:
1000 Lewes Blvd, Whitehorse, Yukon

Phone: 867-667-5929 Fax: 867-667-8555
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5929

Yukon government directory >>>