Schools K - 12

Dispute resolution

Learn about the dispute resolution process in Yukon schools.  Bridge bulding event

Open, regular communication is a shared responsibility of parents and teachers.

Most disagreements that arise in school communities can be resolved through respectful discussion among those involved.

Sometimes more formality is needed. Following a clear dispute resolution process helps ensure that problems are resolved quickly and in the best interests of students.

Depending on the type of problem, the process may involve school councils or the Education Appeal Tribunal.

Protecting privacy

Student privacy is legally protected. If a problem involves the behaviour of another student, staff are limited in what they can tell you.

Staff privacy is also legally protected. If a problem involves the behaviour of a teacher or other staff member, principals and other staff are limited in what they can tell you.

School councils are sometimes involved in confidential matters. School council members cannot reveal personal information about staff or students.

Back to top >>>

Basic dispute resolution process

To resolve problems in school communities, it is important to follow a chain of communication.

The first step is to speak directly with the teacher or staff member involved.

If the problem is not resolved, you can raise your concern with authorities in this order:
1.  Principal or vice-principal
2.  Superintendent or school council
3.  Assistant Deputy Minister of Public Schools

Back to top >>>

School Councils

As outlined in Section 156 of the Education Act , you can appeal to a school council a decision that:

  • Was made by a school staff member


  • Significantly affects the education, health or safety of a student.

You can also appeal student suspensions of more than 10 days to school councils, as outlined in Section 41(4) of the Education Act .

School councils establish policies and procedures for their schools, based on the School Council Dispute Resolution Procedure Policy. To find your school’s policies, check your school’s website or contact the school. 

Back to top >>>

Education Appeal Tribunal

Parents or students who do not agree with certain decisions made by schools, the Department of Education or school councils can apply to appeal them to the Education Appeal Tribunal.

Back to top >>>

Other problems

If a problem is not resolved through the basic dispute resolution process and it cannot be appealed to a school council or the Education Appeal Tribunal, you can refer it to the Deputy Minister:

  • Deputy Minister, Education: 867-667-5126 or 1-800-661-0408 extension 5126

Back to top >>>

Guiding documents

School Council Dispute Resolution Procedure Policy 
Safe and Caring Schools Policy 
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Policy

Back to top >>>

Other pages you might be interested in

All public schools policies
Education Appeal Tribunal
School councils
Who's who in education

Back to top >>>

Schools and Student Services

Department of Education
1000 Lewes Boulevard
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada Y1A 2C6

Phone: 867-667-5127
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5127
Fax: 867-393-6339

Yukon government staff directory >>>